12.06.2010

A Year of Books

Hello there. We have entered the Christmas season in full swing! It's cold here in Tennessee, which makes it so much more festive! Life continues to be busy. My sweet husband has only 2 DAYS off work this ENTIRE month. We sure do miss him a lot. Thankfully, one of the days he is home is December 11th, which is also our son's 2nd birthday. Yay!

In reflecting on this year, I was thinking about some of the books I've read and thought I'd share a few that I enjoyed.

1. Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion Series (3 books)
I cannot recommend these books enough. They were life-changing in so many ways for me! If you read any books in 2011, PLEASE make sure these make your list!

2. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. This one was a little out of my "normal" reading genre, but I loved it! It made me think differently about things like success, intelligence, and work ethic. Very, very interesting.
3. Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffin. (Yes, I realize I'm about 5 years behind in reading these books) They are the equivalent of a good chick-flick... not life-changing, but really fun.

4. Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson. I wrote a post about this book here.
5. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan. Ah, I have a love-hate relationship with this book. It's a fictional (maybe historical fiction?) book about the life of famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. Based on the little research I've done on the book, my understanding is that the author used what facts are known about Wright's life (specifically his love affair with Mamah Borthwick Cheney) as the base for the novel, then filled in the details for us. I absolutely HATED how this book ends. In fact, I had a hard time even finishing it. That said, I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book... it's one you want to discuss with a girlfriend, sister, or your mom :)
6. Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers. This is the first book in a 2 part series. It definitely isn't my favorite Francine Rivers book (see #1) but I really liked it and can't wait to read the second book. It is on my dresser waiting for me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment